Jun 13, 2022
This is an "ask me anything" (AMA) episode, with Prof. Stuart
Phillips of McMaster University. Prof. Phillips takes questions on
protein intake, sources, muscle function, and healthy ageing.
To listen to the full AMA, click here to subscribe
to Sigma Nutrition Premium.
- [04.28] What is muscle protein balance?
- [05.32] Why is the focus always on muscle protein
- [07.14] Is MPS a good proxy measure for outcomes we care about
(e.g. muscle growth/repair)?
- [10.37] What's the difference between 'whole body protein
synthesis' and 'muscle protein synthesis'?
- [12.57] We're starting to see commercially available whey that
has been produced by bacteria engineered to synthesize whey protein
directly from nutritional substrate. It seems like we should expect
this to have directly comparable effects given the identical
molecular structure. Is there any reason to think this bacterially
synthesized whey will have any different effects that whey from
- [15.50] Does the literature still show that an additional dose
of plant-derived protein is required to equate a similar response
from animal protein?
- [26.39] During post-exercise conditions does protein ingestion
stimulate MPS for longer than the usual 2-3 hour period reported in
- [27.49] Considering the growing interest in fasting protocols
(both TRF and longer fasting protocols) - what would you recommend
in these circumstances for the preservation / growth of muscle
mass. Would it differ between IF/TRF and longer (1-3 day)
- [34.58] Is it a waste to take too much protein powder at once
because some of it won't get absorbed?
- [42.50] Does protein powder lose some of its quality if boiling
water is added due to protein denaturation?
- [47.05] Would you please share your opinion about how you
evaluate protein status in the body?
- [50.51] I am now over 60 and lift heavy twice a week. What
would be a reasonable body fat % for me to aspire to and how much
daily protein should I be targetting in my diet?