Dec 30, 2017
Brianna Stubbs, PhD
In 2016 Brianna completed her PhD in Metabolic Biochemistry at
Oxford University. She also became a World Champion rower as part
of the GB Rowing Lightweight Women's four person crew, and won 3
other World Rowing Championships medals. She has published
peer-reviewed studies looking at ketone metabolism, ketone ester
supplementation in athletes and effects of ketones on appetite.
In This Episode We Discuss:
- Brianna's background as an elite-level rower
- Her PhD research on ketone metabolism
- Misconceptions about ketones (both endogenous and
- Ketogenesis: why do we make ketones?
- Brianna's study examining effect of ketone ester
supplementation on appetite and ghrelin levels
- Who needs to even know their ketone concentration?
- Ketone supplements: glycogen sparing or glycogen
- Effect of ketone supplementation on fuel selection in endurance
- Potential for supplementation: where is the area we will most
likely see some benefit?
- Limitations of current literature base